I’m back! After a summer spent focusing on 5ks and the River Cities sprint triathlon, I’m now looking to get back to my endurance roots. I officially registered for the Rocky 50 trail run last night! My sister Megan and I thought this would be a fun thing to do together. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life coming off of the Ironman, so it makes sense to put the fitness to use!
Have you heard of Anchor? It’s an awesome app that makes it incredibly easy to create audio content. I’ve started a Rocky 50 Training Log series on Anchor…my plan is to capture recordings throughout the day and then upload each day’s recordings into a daily Training Log podcast. Seems easy so far, but I’m only on day 2, ha. So if you want to listen, check me out at Meredith Brooks in the Anchor app, or anchor.fm/meredith-brooks.
The podcast should be available on iTunes at some point and I’ll be sure to post the link.
On another note, I had an awesome time at the Watermelon Festival 5k in late July where I managed to come in as the 4th overall female and get 1st place in my age group on a BRUTAL course. The next weekend I headed over to Shreveport for the River Cities triathlon. I met up with my parents and Megan for a great weekend. Megan and I last raced River Cities about 8 years ago and I beat her by about 5 minutes. This year she beat me by about 5 minutes! So we will have to have rematch.
So now that the shorter races are over, I’m focused on building a good base for my Rocky 50 training. Leading up to the Rocky 50 in February, I’m planning to do the following races:
- October 14 – Chemin-a-Haut State Park 4 miler (Bastrop) (plan to run the course twice)
- November 12 – Cottonwood Marathon (West Monroe)
- November 23 – Calvary Turkey Trot 5k (Alexandria) (plan to run the course twice)
- November 25 – Big Dog Trail Run 20 miler (Ruston)
- December 16 – Jingle Bell Half Marathon (Monroe) (plan to run the course twice)
- December 30 – Resolution Run 8 miler (West Monre) (plan to run an extra 4 mile loop)
- January 6 – Azalea Trail 27 miler (Alexandria)
- February 10 – Rocky 50 (Huntsville)
It seems like a lot of racing, but I’m excited to have so many local races to spice up my training and get in some good race simulation for the 50 miler. For some of the shorter races I plan to run the course twice or tack on extra loops after the finish if possible.
I’ll be capturing my training on the Anchor channel/podcast, and hopefully here, too!
- Nov 20, 2018 Wrapping up 2018 and Prepping for 2019 Nov 20, 2018
- February 2018
- November 2017
- Oct 2, 2017 Minor Setback Oct 2, 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 Tap, tap...is this thing on? Aug 18, 2017
- May 4, 2017 Getting Inked May 4, 2017
- April 2017